I have a birthday coming up. A big birthday: I turn 30. I'm not dreading it since it probably won't be much different than being 29. I think I had a harder time turning 26 or 27, when I realized that I am closer to 30 than 20. Part of this has to do with the fact that I'm satisfied with what I've accomplished in my 30 years on earth. I can scratch a few things off my bucket list: got a college degree, got married, bought a house, been selfish and bought things I didn't really "need", had a baby...
Rather than making a list of what I want to accomplish in the next 30 years, I'm going to make a list of things I hope to accomplish or maintain in the next year:
- Find my style. Break out of this funk! I think it will get easier as E gets older and I get back into my old clothes.
- Make more mom friends. It's nice to have friends with kids because we are dealing with similar things, but I will watch for the competitive mom "friends".
- See more of my existing mom friends. Existing mom friends have babies that are very close in age with E. It's really comforting having a friends that I can text and ask, "Is your baby doing this??" or ask for advice on teething. A few of us have gotten together to have a Mom's Night Out and it is a lot of fun. Need to make sure we keep up with it!
- Find an exercise routine that works, in or out of the gym. My husband and I have started running in the evenings. I know running in June in Texas sounds like a death wish, but it feels really good to blow off some stress. And even better is that it's free!
- Find one thing I'm good at and become excellent at it. I recently complained to my husband that I don't really have a skill. I want to work on a skill and eventually excel. It doesn't have to make me money, just something that I enjoy doing as a hobby.
Those sound pretty achievable, right? Happy weekend, friends. I'll be a little older and wiser come Monday.